Thursday, April 23

You Gotta Learn To Reuse

Earth Day was Wednesday. I spent all day talking to the kids about the 3 R's, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Thanks to Jack Johnson for that awesome song! Anyways, the kids know that I like to quilt and have seen a few of my creations. My favorite comment has been, "Wow! That looks like I could buy it at a store!" Thanks kids :)

So we were talking about all the ways to reuse things. An old refrigerator box can be a great playhouse, or a pringles can could hold colored pencils. So I had a reading packet for them on the 3 R's and the last sheet had 3 items with lines beside them to write what else you could do with them besides throw them away. They said a old soup can could hold pencils or flowers or coins. The empty egg carton could be used to sort buttons and beads or plant little seeds in. And then on the page was an old T-shirt. Most kids wrote give to the thrift store or people in need, but one little boy wrote "Give it to Mrs. Quinn and she can make you a quilt". Thanks kiddos, you rock!

They also complained to the cafeteria ladies about using Styrofoam trays... yikes. Oh well, at least they understood that Styrofoam is horrible. Out of the mouth of babes, right?

Speaking of give a shirt to Mrs. Quinn and she can make you a quilt... I finished Carrie's Quilt today... I will hold off on the full pictures until she receives it on Saturday, but here is a little sneak peek of it under my sewing machine's presser foot.....

No comments: