Saturday, June 5

First 5k Race

So today was the big day. My first 5k race!

I was nervous, and I started out way to fast! I had completed the first mile and a half in 11 minutes... not a pace I could keep! So I did end up walking some :( Not what I wanted to do, but between starting too fast and the heat I just felt that it was better to take a moment and walk, and then pick up a better pace.

So here are a few highlights of my run:
There was a dude running barefoot. We raced on the road!
There was this lady that was "messing" with me the whole last half of the race. I was keeping a decent pace and she would be all up on me! Then she would cut in front of me and slow down. My long legs couldn't handle her small stride, so I would go around her. This continued till I could see the finish line. So when I could see the finish I started to "bring it". I was clipping along pretty well and then guess who thinks she is going to pass me!? That lady! OH NO SHE DIDN'T is the exact words that went through my brain. I busted out 1998 track skills and DUSTED that lady! It was the best feeling in the entire world! Take that lady! I am still pumped thinking about it! Actually I passed another person in that little stretch too :)

So my time was a little more than I wished. I wanted to finish in 30 or under and I ended up with a 31:52 (chip time). In my age group 20-29, there were 63 women and I came in 21st. So I don't think that is too bad. Grand total (men & women) 597, I came in 238. Not as great as I wanted but I am only on week 7 of my Couch to 5k, so maybe in 2 weeks I will be there!!!

Check out my cheerleader! She was so happy for me!

Big thanks to Matt and Dutchie for being my cheering squad! I love you both!

No comments: