Sunday, January 11

North Carolina C'mon and Raise Up (Stephanie's Quilt)

Matt has been super busy getting ready for a Moot Court Competition in Houston (He flies out Wednesday). While he was busy I thought I would start working on Stephanie's quilt...



I pulled out the giant bag of Sorority/College shirts that Stephanie had given me and I cut out all the small logos (like where a pocket would be on a t-shirt).

I cut all of these out Saturday night before Kari and Nathan came over, there were 20 of them.

Sunday I started to iron on the interfacing. Here is how I applied the stabilizer, it makes it easier to sew stretchy t-shirt material. I found the best way to do this from this website Pink Chalk Studio


1. Find the logo

2. Turn the shirt piece logo side down and place a piece of iron-on interfacing (light weight) over the top of the shirt. Make sure that the interfacing is bigger that the logo

3. Cover these layers with a kitchen town and squirt with water until damp

4. Iron. Press the iron straight down, do not move back and forth

5. Remove towel, and flip over to see if the interfacing adhered correctly. Success!

This is the stack I ended up with when I finished. 20 pieces with logos and 16 pieces plain colors.

So let the cutting begin...


1. Layout cut shirt logo side up on a cutting mat.

2. Place template over the logo and center. I am using a 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 square

3. Cut out with rotary cutter.

4. Ta-da! One down 35 more to go...

After finishing all the cutting I was anxious to get to sewing the squares. I had my design in mind and had already worked it out in Paint.



After a few stitches, and a little pressing, I completed the corner blocks of Stephanie's Quilt. Each measures 15x15 inches.



I have entitled this quilt: "North Carolina C'mon and Raise Up". Most of my quilts are named after songs, and just randomly that Petey Pablo song came on my iPod, I thought it was perfect. I am hoping to get a few of the larger parts completed this week. They will go more quickly than these little logos. Each shirt back will also be 15x15. It should be a pretty big quilt!

No comments: